Because being at home is always your first choice, Essential Home Health makes recovering at home possible through its home health services, a comfortable and less expensive alternative to long hospital stays or nursing home care. Patients develop a one-on-one relationship with their home health nurse, who provides them with individualized care in the familiar surroundings of their home.
Essential Home Health has been locally-owned and operated since 1995 and has established itself as a leader in the home health industry. Essential Home Health is also designated as a Historically Under- utilized Business (HUB). For four consecutive years, Essential Home Health received recognition from Homecare Elite as one of the nation’s Top 500 home health agencies. More than 11,000 agencies nationwide were considered for the award. Winners are ranked by an analysis of performance measures in quality outcomes, quality improvements and financial performance.
The staff at Essential Home Health has made helping and caring for others in the community an everyday practice—a virtue passed down by owner Josie Alvarado, RN, BSN. Josie’s career has always involved caring for others. As one of the members of the first graduation class of Texas Tech University School of Nursing, her long career has given her the knowledge and experience to effectively and compassionately run a successful home health agency. “People walk in our office all the time with different needs—sometimes they need information about how to find a doctor and sometimes they need help with their utilities. We often act as a community resource and match people to organizations in the community that can provide the service or assistance they need. We do more than offer traditional home health services.”
We are happy about the fact that our patients are less likely to require readmission to the hospital or a visit to the emergency department while being cared for by Essential Home Health. This means that our goal of patients returning to their usual routines prior to their illness has been achieved.
Essential Home Health is also CHAP accredited. The Community Health Accreditation Program, Inc. (CHAP) is an independent, non-profit accrediting body for community based health care organizations. Essential Home Health has been accredited by CHAP since 2007. This accreditation means that Essential Home Health meets the highest standards of excellence in home and community based care.
Essential Home Health has been nationally recognized for quality and excellence, and our services include:
- Skilled nursing: Our nursing professionals provide exceptional clinical care. A dedicated R.N. case manager is assigned to each patient and supervises the patient’s team of nurses, therapists and caregivers. Nursing care is available 24/7 to support your medical needs.
- Laboratory services: Our nurses collect lab samples and perform routine lab tests ordered by the patient’s physician.
- Diabetic management: Our nurses, working with the patient’s physician, provide support, education and assistance to diabetic patients and their families with the goal of encouraging the patient to live as independently as possible while safely managing their own diabetic care.
- Heart Healthy Program: We offer a specialized cardiac program for home care patients with heart-related disease. Our program is designed to enhance rehabilitation, increase compliance with treatment options and detect possible complications in a timely manner.
- Pre/Post Surgical Care: Our nurses provide a comprehensive approach to surgical aftercare. Our goal is to help patients return to the healthy and active life they enjoyed before they were impacted by surgery. Our aim is to help patients achieve their recovery goals in a setting that is comfortable and familiar to them-their home.
- Medication Teaching/Administration: Medication errors include omitting doses, doses taken incorrectly, taking medications without an order, and having an adverse reaction to a medication. We offer a teaching plan that includes specific teaching on medication and compliance. Our goal is to enable the patient to understand their disease process and the importance of understanding and following their prescribed medication regimen.
- Wound Care: Our wound care program aims to significantly improve the patient’s ability to manage his/her wounds. Our program is designed to reduce visits to the physician’s office, help the patient to understand the early signs of infection and skin breakdown, and improve the patient’s quality of life by providing education on risk factors. Our Wound Care Certified Nurses are proficient in the management of surgical wounds, pressure ulcers, diabetic ulcers, arterial ulcers, and venous ulcers.
- Physical Therapy: Our physical therapists help regain functional mobility and grow motor skills through therapeutic exercise, balance activities, and ambulation training.
- Occupational Therapy: Our occupational therapists help patients regain daily living skills using fine motor, cognitive, perceptual, and sensory exercises and tasks.
- Speech Therapy: Our speech-language pathologists help patients manage swallowing disorders as well as regain their ability to produce and understand speech and facilitate communication.
- Medical Social Workers: Our social workers have information and resources to help the patient remain safe and cared for in their own home and link patients to community resources to assist with any medical, psychological or social assistance that may be needed.
- Certified Nurse Assistants: Our nurse assistants (CNAs) work under the supervision of the home health nurse and help patients who need more extensive help than family can provide, such as bathing, dressing and other personal care needs.
- IV Therapy: Home infusion therapy is the administration of medication by IV. Common diagnoses that require IV therapy include infections that do not get better with oral antibiotics, Congestive Heart Failure, immune disorders, and more. IV therapy that is given in the home is more cost-effective and provides better outcomes. It reduces the need for a hospital stay and is conducted in the comfort of the patient’s home.
- Hospital Readmission Reduction Program: We partner with hospitals, skilled nurse facilities, rehabilitation centers and physicians in a collaborative effort to reduce and/or prevent rehospitaizations. We front-load nursing and therapy visits, as the initial days and weeks after release from a hospital stay have the biggest impact on minimizing rehospitalizations. We use Zone instruction using red, yellow and green-color coding system for patient symptom management and appropriate first response to system exacerbations.
- Compliance Program: Essential Home Health audits and monitors all programs for our home health agency to assess internal controls and processes for compliance with all applicable laws, rules, and regulations.
Essential Home Health also provides state Medicaid waiver/non-waiver programs. These programs are available to eligible Medicaid clients whose health problems cause them to be functionally limited in performing activities of daily living. These programs are funded by the Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services (DADS). Depending on the client’s needs, these programs can provide both skilledand non-skilled services that can allow the client to remain in their home and are cost-effective alternatives to placement in nursing facilities. These attendant care services provide personal care to clients needing help with Activities of Daily Living such as: light housekeeping, light meal preparation, bathing assistance, dressing, eating, grooming, personal hygiene, and walking. These programs are as follows:
- Star+Plus Waiver (SPW)
- Other Community Care (OCC)
- Family Care (FC)
- Community Attendant Services (CAS)
Essential Home Health is a licensed Medicare provider. The agency accepts Amerigroup Advantage, FirstCare Advantage, Superior and other major insurance plans. Essential Home Health is proud to be a member of the Better Business Bureau with an A+ rating and a member of the Chamber of Commerce.